JudoScotland Commits to Equality in Sport
Get involved! Finding your nearest Judo club is easy, Get started here...
JudoScotland Commits to Equality in SportPosted: 20/11/2015
JudoScotland are happy to announce that over the course of 2015 we have been continuing on the path to equality, achieving the preliminary level of the Equality Standard for Sport and also committing to the Scottish LGBT Sports Charter.
The Standard is a framework for assisting sports organisations to widen access and reduce inequalities in sport and physical activity from under represented individuals, groups and communities. It is based around two broad themes: developing your organisation and developing your services. By achieving the Preliminary level we have a clear understanding of what is needed to achieve equality.
The charter was developed in consultation with sports governing bodies (SGBs), other sports stakeholders and LGBT people.
The charter has five principles for those delivering sport in Scotland to sign up to.
- Take steps to actively involve LGBT people in sport and visibly support LGBT inclusion and equality.
- Challenge homophobic and transphobic behaviour and ensure a positive and welcoming sporting environment for LGBT participants.
- Develop policies and practices that are inclusive, informed by a better understanding of the issues and barriers for LGBT people and by taking advantage of training.
- Work to further include trans people in sport by understanding the differing needs for trans participants and begin to reduce the barriers which prevent trans people from taking part in sport in their acquired gender.
- Strive to make continuous improvements to greater include LGBT people in Scottish sport.