Starting a Club
Get involved! Finding your nearest Judo club is easy, Get started here...
Starting a Club
Are you looking to start a new judo club in your area but not sure where to start?
JudoScotland values the hard work of our member clubs without whom we wouldn’t be able to develop Judo-in-Scotland. This guide is designed to set out the foundations and provide you with the tools for running a successful club.
Consider what your club will look like.
- Have you considered why you would like to start a club?
- Is there a demand and who are your target members? Will you be one of many clubs in your particular area or is it underserved? Visit our Club Finder to see.
- Aims and goals are required in order for your club to be successful, you may wish to consider what these may be. Click here for help.
- The legal structure is very important to ensure the best governance for your club. This can be quite daunting so sportscotland have put together a comprehensive guide to what this means.
Do you have processes in place to run efficiently as a club?
- For a club to run smoothly it involves a number of people to assist with the daily operations of the club. Think about the roles within the club and what skills sets will be required, e.g. you may have a member or parent who is an accountant whose skills could be used as a treasurer, etc this can help you to build a workforce for your club. Click here for more information.
- Clubs should affiliate to British Judo through JudoScotland. There are many benefits to being affiliated to the Governing Body including club support, access to grading system, promoted on JudoScotland Club Finder, insurance cover, access to British Judo's Club Marketing Portal and much more. Click here for the club membership application form (please return to JudoScotland) and sample constitution. Any questions please contact the JudoScotland office on 0131 333 2981 or email@example.com.
- Do you have mats and equipment available to you, or do you need to consider funding? Finance can be a barrier but there is help out there, contact our Club Development Officer for guidance on this.
- JudoScotland has many resources to aid with the development and growth within your club, have a look at the initiatives on offer to see how you can get involved.
- Marketing your club – a club needs a strong profile, this will help when trying to attract new members and increase awareness in the local community, therefore a successful marketing strategy is key.
There is a wide range of support available to help your club grow, develop and perform.
- JudoScotland offers many different options of support for your club. If you would like to find out how we can best support you contact your Regional Development Officer or Club Development Officer.
- Affiliated clubs will benefit from various initiatives driven by JudoScotland to promote the development of its members and increase participation.
- Our Accreditation Scheme JudoMARK – is an excellent resource for clubs to ensure that best practice and progressive development is on-going, resulting in a safe and effective environment for all members.
- Contact your Local Authority to see what help they can offer your club, Community sports hub.
- For other information, help and support see sportscotland Help for Clubs.